- Luis Ruiz Avila, (Managing Partner & CEO) holds a Ph.D. in molecular biology. After ten years of academic research in Spain (CSIC, UB) and USA (Roche, Mount Sinai NY) Luis started his career in the industry at Almirall in 1997 as project manager and business developer. In 2001 leaves Almirall to participate in creating Advancell, one of the first spanish biotechnology spin-offs, where he served as CEO from its conception until December 2008, when he left his position to create Janus. In 2002 he participated in the creation of ERA-Plantech (now ERA-Biotech), being interim CEO until 2004, when he became Chairman of its Board of Directors until 2007. In 2009 he served as CEO of the Madrid company TCD-Pharma, Biotech Crossroads Group. He was a member of the board of Asebio between 2004 and 2008. He is the founder of CataloniaBio (the Catalan association of biotech companies) and member of its board. Luis regularly participates in working groups of local institutions, particularly Biocat.
Luis has authored over 25 research papers in prestigious international journals (Nature, PNAS, J. Neurosci) and translated into Spanish several reference textbooks in molecular biology and genetics. He regularly contributes opinion articles on biotechnology management in newspapers and magazines at national level. Occasionally teaches courses in project management and intellectual property, and is an active lecturer in communication and management strategy in the biotechnology and biomedical field. Luis is a founding partner of JANUS DEVELOPMENTS and his main responsibility is the acquisition of projects and further business development.
- Maribel Berges, (Managing Partner and CFO) is a Chemical Engineer from the Chemical Institute of Sarrià, she holds a Degree in Organic Chemistryfrom the Universitat Ramon Llull and in 2000 earned an MBA from IESE Business School. After starting in the financial sector and at Almirall in the Engineering R & D department as responsible for the industrial scaling of different chemical processes, Maribel was Director of the Business Center of the Fundació Bosch i Gimpera-University of Barcelona, where she supported more than 40 projects of technological entrepreneurs to carry out their business plans and funding rounds. She was also responsible for the licensing department of the University of Barcelona, negotiating different contracts worldwide. She is coauthor of a reference manual for patent valuation. Maribel regularly contributes with opinion articles in the business press. As founding member of JANUS DEVELOPMENT she specializes primarily in the area of Interim Management, supporting the management of new companies in biotech and medical devices sector. She also heads the Financial Department of JANUS.
- Ramon Bosser,(Managing Partner and COO) has a PhD in cell biology, with experience in basic research at Roche (Switzerland) and the Faculty of Medicine of the Univesty of Barcelona. He began his career in the industry by developing diagnostic kits in Knickerbocker SA and joined Almirall as Project Manager in 1996. In his 14 years at Almirall Ramon gained experience in leadership and management of all aspects of drug development, from preclinical exploratory phase, clinical phases I, II and III, to the stages of registration, industrialization and commercial launch, including management of co-development alliances with American companies, Ramon's career progressed through Project Manager, Senior Project Leader and Director of the Department of Planning and Project Management of R & D. Ramon teaches regular courses for project management of R & D. He joined JANUS DEVELOPMENTS as a Managing Partner in January 2010. He specializes primarily in the management and direction of project, coordinating the execution of projects owned by Janus.
- Natàlia Ferrer, (Head of Administration): holds a degree in Management and Business Administration at the School of Business Administration from Barcelona (EAE) and has done MBA with specialization in food industry. She has experience in sales and administration of several SMEs in the food sector and joined Janus in November 2009 as Head of Administration.
- Jorge Alemany, (Madrid Office Director) has a degree in Medicine and Doctor in Biochemistry and Molecular Biology, and by the IE Executive MBA, with experience in basic research at NIH (USA) and the Faculty of Medicine, UCM. He began his career in the industry as Managing Director of Pharmagen (now Genomics), joining the National Cancer Research Center as Deputy Director since its founding in 1998, where he was responsible for the creation and growth of the organization as well as the design and construction of the Research Center. In 2003 he joined the group Genetrix, where he founded Cellerix, a leading company in the field of Cell Therapy. Jorge teaches regular courses of Biotechnology business management. Author of over 40 research papers in scientific journals and, book chapters, and editor of the book CellTherapy (McGraw-Hill),Jorge has been a consultant for several biotechnology companies as well as for public institutions such as the, Ministry of Industry, Ministry of Science and Innovation of Spain, and the European Commission. Jorge joined JANUS DEVELOPMENTS as Director of the Office of Madrid in October 2010.
- Cristina Tarragó (Senior Project Manager) has a degree in Biology and a PhD in Medical Microbiology from the Universitat de Barcelona. After two years in the field of food microbiology at the Municipal Laboratory of Barcelona, in 1992 she joined the R & D Center of Ferrer Internacional, initially as a researcher at the Dept of Infectious Diseases, and the last 8 years as a Project Leader in the Dept of Drug Development. Cristina assisted in the implementation of a matricial system of project management in the center of R&D, and she has an experience of over 10 years in research and management of multidisciplinary teams from the early-discovery to clinical phases. In 2011 she joined the Biomedical Research Institute of Girona (IDIBGI) as Valuation and Technology Transfer Manager, where she was responsible for coordinating the knowledge generated by the research groups. In IDIBGI, she was also responsible for IP strategy, advice and training, and for the promotion of public-private partnerships. Cristina joins Janus Developments in November 2012 as a Senior Project Manager.